What We’re Looking For
Under Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (REEE, Phase 2) in Pakistan and in the Nigerian Energy Support Programme (NESP) we are assigned by the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH to support key stakeholders of the energy transition through services related to planning of rural electrification and the integration of renewable energies, primarily solar PV, into existing networks. As the off- and on-grid sector increasingly overlap through decentralized power supply schemes in on-grid and island mode, smart technologies, and emerging markets, we support both grid operators/utilities to manage the increasing share of volatile RE and project developers focusing on upcoming investment opportunities. We focus on improving the regulatory, administrative, and technical preconditions for scaling-up solar PV with the aim of improving access to quality electricity in weak networks and off-gride areas. We support them to rehabilitate, upgrade and decarbonize electricity network and power supply system, which are often underperforming. To do so, we maintain close relations with German industry players, grid operators, academia and foster their transactions in the framework of the afore mentioned assignments and beyond.
We are looking for a new team member with a focus on RE Grid integration and technology (e.g., solar PV systems & storage) to stabilize weak grids to join our team. You will be embedded in a team of RE planning experts and engineers, software developers, GIS, remote sensing, and imagery processing experts as well as project managers. Next to technical and IT based inputs, you will support project management and the capacity development of our local team and partners, e.g., utilities, regulators, and system operators.
Your tasks include more specifically:
- Guidance and supervision to data gathering, e.g., asset inventories, energy/power measurements in close cooperation with our data experts to establish databases.
- Development of innovative solutions to improve power system operation, considering challenging environment in developing countries.
- Develop optimized solutions for the rehabilitation, decarbonization and decentralization of weak network branches considering emerging new market opportunities.
- Establishing grid models and support in grid related analytics, e.g., contingency analysis, sensitivities, and optimal power flow, preferably with open-source tools
- Analyzing the integration of vRE in view of grid stability and increasing RE shares and developing technical roadmaps for distribution system transformation.
- Oversee the development of an advanced open-source software architecture consisting of geo-databases, grid-models, and user-friendly dashboards/reports.
- Conduct blended training on site and virtually, support utilities with hand holding and issue-based support.
- Facilitate exchange between German players from the power system/smart grid industry with partners in developing countries to enable knowledge exchange and create business opportunities.
You will also be involved in the acquisition of new projects by providing technical concepts.
Your Know-how and Profile
- Background in Engineering (e.g., electrical, electronics) with IT orientation, or Computer Science, Economic Engineering, Physiscs/Statistics with electricity system background
- Working experience either with TSOs, DSOs (LV, MV, HV), research institutes as an engineer in power system planning, operation, or asset management, or as a specialist for data integration in distribution & transmission systems / smart grids
- Experience in software for modeling (dynamic) power system, preferably with opensource software
- Understanding of the challenges and opportunities of markets in the energy transition
- Know-how of key actors in science and industry in the energy transition in Germany and Europe
- Organized, solution-oriented, analytic, agile, team player striving for innovative solutions
- Willingness to travel, experience in developing countries is an advantage
- Good communication and reporting skills in English (preferably also in French) and assertiveness
- Project management experience is a plus
What We Offer
- Working on meaningful and impactful projects with the latest technology
- Openness to flexible work arrangements and teamwork
- Flexibility to contribute to other business activities depending on interest
- Preferably in Berlin or Gräfenberg (near Nürnberg). Remote working options can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Are you Interested?
Please email your application as a single PDF document. Your application should include a motivation letter (including availability, start date) and your full CV. Applications should be addressed to Mr. Felix Hohl (email@example.com) and Mohammad Imran (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the Job Ref. 32 before 25 July 2021.